Range Rover County
“Black & Chrome”
3.9 litre FI V8
Winchester Grey leather interior
Like with most iconic cars with a long life span it’s the first and the last of the line that become the most sought after – only think 911 and E-type. The same is so true with the original Range Rover, introduced in 1970 with the very last cars produced in 1996.
Official US imports began as late as 1987 and many luxury features were introduced with the 3.9 litre facelift in 1989. The top of the line County model designation was equivalent to Vogue in Europe – but even more lavishly equipped
1990 US Range Rover County standard features;
– leather interior
– four speed ZF automatic transmission and Borg Warner centre differential with viscous plate operation
– County logos on dashboard and embossed in head rests
– air conditioning
– cruise control
– 8-way electrically controlled front seats
– 60/40 folding rear seats
– electric tilt/slide sunroof
– heated windscreen -one of the world’s first cars so equipped, thanks to Ford Motor Co that had just taken control
– rear window wash/wipe/heater
– central locking
– ABS brakes with ventilated discs
– new fuel injectors and on-board diagnostic display
– heated washer jets
– electrically adjustable and heated exterior mirrors
– electric tinted windows with one-touch drivers side operation
– premium sound system with subwoofer
– chrome bumpers
– polished burr walnut
– automatically dimming interior mirror
– 16″ alloy wheels in body colour
– tow bar preparation
Many US models were imported back to Europe new or nearly new because of high demand and better equipment, like this 1990 County. According to the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate it was first delivered to Land Rover North Dale County, Miami Florida. Build date was 8th Jun 1990. Continuous customer history from the official Land Rover dealer C de Salamanca of Madrid, Spain from 1993 to 2002, with same owner and new instrument panel in kms fitted in early 1990’s, total km-reading believed correct. Imported to UK in 2013 and to Finland by myself in January 2016.
The chassis had no underseal coating so nothing could be hidden – this turned out to be one of the most rust-free unrestored classic Range Rovers I have seen, like the ones found from Northern Scandinavia where they also don’t use salt on the roads. A light surface rust had developed on the underside, due to the climate change from Spain to Britain. This was easy to remove and a thorough rustproofing/box section waxoyl treatment in the traditional Finnish way was done, with focus on long time ownership and making this a truly useable everyday classic.
Extensive overhaul in 2016-2017 with list of works done including;
engine check from top to bottom – new main bearings fitted
new belts, headlamps, filters, coil, leads, engine gearbox and diff oil, coolant, air conditioning service with new drier unit (converted to R134), brake overhaul and wheel alignment
complete respray in original Beluga Black including the alloy wheels
new front chrome bumper
complete leather restoration
new exhaust system with catalysts, front part in stainless steel
new Michelin Latitude M+S tyres
modifications from original specification:
– discreetly hidden high-end audio system with latest Alpine CD-193BT head unit; cd, iPod/aux, bluetooth, hands-free. Focal front speakers, Infinity active subwoofer with remote volume
– replaced wood veneer with Mediterranean Poplar including dashboard vent surround panels – featured in 1993 US County models only
– front and rear Range Rover logotype in chrome finish – can be replaced with original adhesive letters if preferred
– no side mouldings – can be refitted
– remote control for central locking
– new superwool overmats in passenger and cargo area
– Land Rover green oval logos replaced with black ones
Complete set of user manuals and service book started at 216000 kms.
Still undergoing some detailing work and improvements after the pictures were taken.
I took a 1200 kms drive in the snowy and cold Central Finland with this car last weekend and it was a pleasure. In other words tested in the extremes of Spanish summer and Finnish winter.
Located 30 mins from Helsinki airport.
Worldwide shipping. EU taxes and duties paid, registered in Finland.
Please note all viewings are by appointment only.