• chimera-28
  • chimera-21
  • chimera-01
  • chimera-02
  • chimera-03
  • chimera-04
  • chimera-06
  • chimera-07
  • chimera-08
  • chimera-09
  • chimera-10
  • chimera-11
  • chimera-12
  • chimera-13
  • chimera-14
  • chimera-15
  • chimera-16
  • chimera-17
  • chimera-18
  • chimera-19
  • chimera-20
  • chimera-21
  • chimera-22
  • chimera-23
  • chimera-24
  • chimera-25
  • chimera-26
  • chimera-27

Aermacchi Chimera 250
1960
250 cc single cylinder four-stroke engine
chassis no. 200229
orange with white

12500 Eur

Formerly known as Aeronautica Macchi, Aermacchi was founded in 1912 by Giulio Macchi at Varese in north-western Lombardy as Nieuport-Macchi, to build Nieuport monoplanes under licence for the Italian military. After World War II, the company began producing motorcycles as a way to fill the post-war need for cheap, efficient transportation. In 1960, Harley-Davidson motorcycles purchased 50% of Aermacchi’s motorcycle division, with the brand’s intention to expand to more sporty and European style motorbikes, as well as smaller engined bikes. The remaining motorcycle holdings were sold in 1974 to AMF-Harley-Davidson, with motorcycles continuing to be made at Varese. The business was sold to Cagiva in 1978. (modified from Wikipedia).

“Different by Design: 1957 Aermacchi Chimera. Sleek, chic and packaged in jazzy space age design, the Aermacchi Chimera was definitely different, but being different didn’t guarantee success” – read the rest of the fascinating article and one enthusiast’s tale on Motorcycle Classics magazine

A 175cc version became the winner of the X-1 class for pre-1979 Italian motorcycles at the 2011 Pebble Beach Concours. John Parham, the owner of J&P Cycle and president of the National Motorcycle Museum, owns the National Motorcycle Museum Takes Double Win at Pebble Beach.

Only 177 units of the 250 cc version of the Chimera were manufactured, as well as 119 units with the 175 cc engine.

This Chimera 250 was sold new in Finland and has been with the present owner since 1992. He restored the largely original motorcycle to it’s present state and it was finally completed and registered again in 2014, in the Finnish Historic Vehicle register.

Located 30 mins from Helsinki airport. Worldwide shipping. EU taxes and duties paid, registered in Finland.

Please note all viewings are by appointment only.
Private consignment.

css.php